2.09.2007

TEN LARGEST LAKES

This blog was actually a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. When I picked it out I thought it would be one of those easy blogs that everyone agrees on. Boy, was I wrong. There are several disputes about which 10 lakes should be in the top ten. I will discuss those after I list the lakes. So, here they are. (Click on the table to view it larger.)
The reason I listed 11 lakes here instead of 10 is because of those disputes I mentioned earlier. The first dispute I encountered involved Lake Huron and Lake Michigan (#4 and #5). On one website I found them listed together and at the #2 slot. There was a footnote about it and said that was because they form one hydrological unit. On most of the other sites I looked at though, they were listed separately, so I listed them separately. The second dispute I encountered was with the Aral Sea and Lake Chad. They were on most of the lists I found, but after doing a little research I found out that they have been shrinking a lot in recent years, so they technically should not be on the list anymore. The Aral's shrinkage was due to the diversion of some of the rivers that supplied the Aral Sea. Lake Chad's shrinkage was due to climate change and increased demands on the lakes resources. Those were the main disputes I found between the different lists of the largest lakes. Well, that is it for now. I will post another blog next week!

Jenna

No comments: