4.16.2007

TEN POOREST COUNTRIES

I have to say this has been one of, if not the, most confusing blog. Did you know there are like 20 million ways to measure the wealth of a country? Okay, maybe I am exaggerating, but there are a lot. Even if you understand those, you have still got to figure out what all the acronyms mean. You have got your gross domestic product (GDP), GDP per capita, GDP by Purchasing Power Parity (PPP), GDP by PPP per capita, GDP nominal, GDP nominal per capita, GDP real growth rate, GDP official exchange rate, GDP official exchange rate per capita, and so on and so forth. Feel free to look around on the website where I got all of my statistics at and decide for yourself which one measures the porrest countries the most accurately. I decided on GDP by PPP per capita. That basically means the total amount of money the country produces gets changed into US Dollars so we can understand it and is expressed per 1 population. Now you will have to understand that I do not understand what the difference is between these two lists. They both say they are Gross Domestic Product by Purchasing Power Parity per capita, but the countries on the two lists are different. So I decided to just put both of them on here and you can decide between the two. Personally, I think the GDP>PPP per capita seems like it is more of the poorest countries, but I do not know which is actually more accurate. So here they are, the two lists and you can now decide which one makes more sense to you.


http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_gdp_pur_pow_par_percap-purchasing-power-parity-per-capita

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_gdp_ppp_percap-economy-gdp-ppp-per-capita
There you go. Make what you will of these lists. I will post again next week.

Jenna

No comments: